In 1905 a visionary Sri Lankan named Colamba-patabendige Jinasena (first Sri Lankan Engineer to obtain British Professional Charter) started the first Sri Lankan engineering company producing equipment for the agricultural development of then Ceylon. C. Jinasena steered his enterprise through tough times with success and handed it over to his son Tissaweera Siriwardana (an engineer by profession) who further developed the establishment making "Jinasena" a house hold name in Sri Lanka. The four sons of the T.S. Jinasena, Nihal, Rohan, Ranjith and Tissa continued the journey making the Jinasena group the largest single foreign currency earner for Sri Lanka with world class products and providing direct employment for more than 8000 Sri Lankans.
Today after 111 years the Jinasena legacy continues as the Tissa Jinasena Group (TJG) with special focus on helping children and youth to become world class engineers of QUALITY, HONESTY and INTEGRITY and all Sri Lankans to achieve sustainable development by protecting nature and environment. TJG is an interesting combination of commercial establishments and charitable institutions, owned and promoted by Dr. Tissa Jinasena. All commercial activities at Tissa Jinasena Group are operated essentially to finance the charitable institutions. It does not seek any direct or indirect commercial gain in return.
Tissa Jinasena Group consists of;
- Jinasena Innovation and Technology Institute (Pvt.) Ltd.
- Jinasena Engineering Technologies (Pvt.) Ltd.
- Jinasena Industrial Parks (Pvt.) Ltd.
- Jinasena Training and Rehabilitation Trust.
- Jinasena New Technology Holdings (Pvt.) Ltd.
- Jinasena Training Foundation.
- Tissa Jinasena Foundation.
- Shape and Enliven Lives Foundation.
- Vedawatta Company (Pvt.) Ltd.
- Tissa Jinasena Engineering.
- Tissa Jinasena Youth Training.
- Tissa Jinasena Publications.
- Tissa Jinasena Herbal Products.
- Tissa Jinasena Distributers.